Windy Hill Fell Race Is a fast fell race run on good visible paths, rolling hills and has one memorable climb. All this takes place on the Pennine moors where the views of Hollingworth Lake and landmarks further afield are stunning.
The route takes on the Old Roman Road at Blackstone Hedge, passes Windy Hill and descends quickly to finish where it started at the back of Hollingworth Lake (Rakewood).
1. The route starts from outside the Rakewood Sports Pavilion. It goes on the Bridal way path and heads over the M62 bridge
2. It runs parallel to Whittaker Golf Course before climbing up the Old Roman Road at Blackstone Hedge to the kissing gate
3. It continues up through the stones (pic5), once past the trig the stones path becomes a clear path on the Pennine Way.
4. This path takes you to the motorway footbridge
5. You then head up some flagged paths to Windy Hill mast
6. There is a path that runs to the right side of mast that then heads down a nice hill and back up the other side to eventually join the Bridal way path.
7. Then some nice fast running till you get to two Metal gates.
8. Once through the gates look to the left you will see a style.
9. Once you've negotiated your way over, it it's a cracking descent to the field at the finish